Minted Orzo Pilaf
From EatingWell: March/April 1999
Orzo is a small, rice-shaped pasta, made bright and savory here with fresh mint and chicken broth.
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cups orzo
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
- Bring broth to a simmer in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large deep skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add orzo and cook, stirring constantly, until lightly toasted, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add 1 cup simmering broth to the pan. Cook, stirring constantly with a long-handled spoon, until most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 1 minute.
- Adjust heat as necessary to maintain a simmer. Continue cooking and stirring, adding broth 1 cup at a time, until orzo is tender but still firm, 15 to 20 minutes total. Season with pepper, stir in mint and serve.
Per serving: 199 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 2 g fiber; 109 mg sodium; 106 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- March/April 1999
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)