Mini Rum-Raisin Bread Puddings
From EatingWell: March/April 2014
This raisin- and pecan-studded bread pudding recipe is made in a muffin tin. The cute little mini bread puddings will have all your friends and family swooning and asking for the recipe. Country bread with a solid crust gives the bread pudding a nice toothsome texture. If you don’t care for rum, use apple cider in its place.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, divided
- 4 tablespoons dark rum or apple cider, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 5 cups cubed or torn whole-wheat country bread (1/2 inch)
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- Position oven rack in center of oven; preheat to 325°F. Coat a 12-cup nonstick muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a small microwave-safe bowl. Whisk eggs, milk, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 2 tablespoons rum (or cider), cinnamon, vanilla and nutmeg in a large bowl. Whisk in the melted butter and raisins. Gently stir in bread. Let stand, stirring occasionally, to let the bread absorb the liquid, about 15 minutes.
- Divide the mixture evenly among the muffin cups (about 1/3 cup each). Top each with about 1 teaspoon pecans.
- Bake the puddings on the center rack until set and just beginning to brown on top, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Gently loosen and remove with a paring knife.
- Meanwhile, combine the remaining 2 tablespoons butter, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 2 tablespoons rum (or cider) and pinch of salt in a small saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, whisking, until bubbling and the sugar is mostly dissolved, about 2 minutes. Whisk in half-and-half and continue cooking, whisking vigorously and constantly, until bubbling and thickened slightly, about 1 minute more. Remove from heat and whisk slowly for 1 minute more. Let the sauce stand until ready to serve; it will thicken as it sits.
- Serve the bread puddings with the sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the puddings and the sauce in separate containers for up to 1 day.
Per serving: 243 calories; 9 g fat (4 g sat, 3 g mono); 47 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 19 g added sugars; 25 g total sugars; 6 g protein; 2 g fiber; 135 mg sodium; 218 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1/2 Fruit, 1/2 starch, 1 other carbohydrate, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, other
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- March/April 2014
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)