From EatingWell: September/October 1995
This recipe was inspired by a scene in the Oscar-nominated film Quiz Show. Serve these mini-sandwiches during the half-time show on football Sundays, or rent the movie, make full-sized sandwiches and have a relaxing Friday night.
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 8-ounce loaves “cocktail-size” pumpernickel, or rye bread (about 44 slices)
- 1 cup grated Fontina, or Swiss cheese (4 ounces)
- 6 ounces very thinly sliced turkey pastrami
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup sauerkraut, rinsed and squeezed dry
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- Stir together mayonnaise, mustard and cayenne pepper in a small bowl. Spread the mayonnaise mixture over all of the bread slices. Sprinkle half of the cheese over half of the bread slices. Top with turkey pastrami, black pepper, sauerkraut and the remaining cheese. Place the remaining bread slices firmly on top.
- Brush a little oil evenly over the bottom of a large nonstick skillet or griddle and heat over medium heat. Add the sandwiches in batches and cook until the undersides are lightly toasted and the cheese has melted, about 45 seconds per side. Add more oil to the pan as needed. Cut each sandwich into 2 triangles and serve warm.
Per serving: 49 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 160 mg sodium; 8 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Super Bowl
- September/October 1995