From EatingWell: September/October 1995
This recipe was inspired by a scene in the Oscar-nominated film Quiz Show. Serve these mini-sandwiches during the half-time show on football Sundays, or rent the movie, make full-sized sandwiches and have a relaxing Friday night.
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 8-ounce loaves “cocktail-size” pumpernickel, or rye bread (about 44 slices)
- 1 cup grated Fontina, or Swiss cheese (4 ounces)
- 6 ounces very thinly sliced turkey pastrami
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup sauerkraut, rinsed and squeezed dry
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- Stir together mayonnaise, mustard and cayenne pepper in a small bowl. Spread the mayonnaise mixture over all of the bread slices. Sprinkle half of the cheese over half of the bread slices. Top with turkey pastrami, black pepper, sauerkraut and the remaining cheese. Place the remaining bread slices firmly on top.
- Brush a little oil evenly over the bottom of a large nonstick skillet or griddle and heat over medium heat. Add the sandwiches in batches and cook until the undersides are lightly toasted and the cheese has melted, about 45 seconds per side. Add more oil to the pan as needed. Cut each sandwich into 2 triangles and serve warm.
Per serving: 49 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 160 mg sodium; 8 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Super Bowl
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- September/October 1995