From EatingWell: September/October 1995
This recipe was inspired by a scene in the Oscar-nominated film Quiz Show. Serve these mini-sandwiches during the half-time show on football Sundays, or rent the movie, make full-sized sandwiches and have a relaxing Friday night.
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 8-ounce loaves “cocktail-size” pumpernickel, or rye bread (about 44 slices)
- 1 cup grated Fontina, or Swiss cheese (4 ounces)
- 6 ounces very thinly sliced turkey pastrami
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup sauerkraut, rinsed and squeezed dry
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- Stir together mayonnaise, mustard and cayenne pepper in a small bowl. Spread the mayonnaise mixture over all of the bread slices. Sprinkle half of the cheese over half of the bread slices. Top with turkey pastrami, black pepper, sauerkraut and the remaining cheese. Place the remaining bread slices firmly on top.
- Brush a little oil evenly over the bottom of a large nonstick skillet or griddle and heat over medium heat. Add the sandwiches in batches and cook until the undersides are lightly toasted and the cheese has melted, about 45 seconds per side. Add more oil to the pan as needed. Cut each sandwich into 2 triangles and serve warm.
Per serving: 49 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 160 mg sodium; 8 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- 8 or more
- Super Bowl
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- September/October 1995