Mini Greek Pizza Muffins
From EatingWell: November/December 2007
All the flavors of a Greek pizza make these savory muffins bite-size treats for adults and kids alike.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 2/3 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup low-fat milk
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 large egg, well beaten
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chopped kalamata olives
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper; cook, stirring often, until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a mini-muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk whole-wheat pastry flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, oregano, sugar, garlic powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Stir milk, feta, egg, tomato paste and olives into the onion mixture. Make a well in the dry ingredients; add the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Fill the prepared muffin cups two-thirds full.
- Bake the muffins until lightly browned, 13 to 15 minutes. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 2 days. Serve at room temperature or reheat at 350°F. | Equipment: Mini-muffin pan with 24 (2-tablespoon) muffin cups.
Per muffin: 39 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 11 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 106 mg sodium; 36 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 fat
Nutrition Note: (for 2 muffins)
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- 8 or more
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- November/December 2007
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)