Mini Greek Pizza Muffins
From EatingWell: November/December 2007
All the flavors of a Greek pizza make these savory muffins bite-size treats for adults and kids alike.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 2/3 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup low-fat milk
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 large egg, well beaten
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chopped kalamata olives
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper; cook, stirring often, until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a mini-muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk whole-wheat pastry flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, oregano, sugar, garlic powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Stir milk, feta, egg, tomato paste and olives into the onion mixture. Make a well in the dry ingredients; add the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Fill the prepared muffin cups two-thirds full.
- Bake the muffins until lightly browned, 13 to 15 minutes. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 2 days. Serve at room temperature or reheat at 350°F. | Equipment: Mini-muffin pan with 24 (2-tablespoon) muffin cups.
Per muffin: 39 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 11 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 106 mg sodium; 36 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 fat
Nutrition Note: (for 2 muffins)
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- November/December 2007