Mini Greek Pizza Muffins
From EatingWell: November/December 2007
All the flavors of a Greek pizza make these savory muffins bite-size treats for adults and kids alike.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 2/3 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup low-fat milk
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 large egg, well beaten
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chopped kalamata olives
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper; cook, stirring often, until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a mini-muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk whole-wheat pastry flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, oregano, sugar, garlic powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Stir milk, feta, egg, tomato paste and olives into the onion mixture. Make a well in the dry ingredients; add the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Fill the prepared muffin cups two-thirds full.
- Bake the muffins until lightly browned, 13 to 15 minutes. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 2 days. Serve at room temperature or reheat at 350°F. | Equipment: Mini-muffin pan with 24 (2-tablespoon) muffin cups.
Per muffin: 39 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 11 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 106 mg sodium; 36 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 fat
Nutrition Note: (for 2 muffins)
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- 8 or more
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- November/December 2007