Mini Chile Relleno Casseroles
Everyone gets an individual portion with this vegetarian, Tex-Mex mini casserole. A normal-size casserole like this would take close to an hour to bake—these are ready in half the time. Heatproof ramekins are a cook's best friend—we use them all the time to hold ingredients while cooking. You can buy them at most grocery stores.
- 2 4-ounce cans diced green chiles, drained and patted dry
- 3/4 cup frozen corn, thawed and patted dry
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups nonfat milk
- 6 large egg whites
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat eight 6-ounce or four 10-ounce heatproof ramekins with cooking spray and place on a baking sheet.
- Equally divide green chiles, corn and scallions among the ramekins. Top each with cheese. Whisk milk, egg whites, eggs and salt in a medium bowl until combined. Divide the egg mixture evenly among the ramekins.
- Bake the mini casseroles until the tops begin to brown and the eggs are set, about 25 minutes for 6-ounce ramekins and about 35 minutes for 10-ounce ramekins.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: Eight 6-ounce or four 10-ounce heatproof ramekins
Per serving: 215 calories; 7 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 219 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 23 g protein; 3 g fiber; 726 mg sodium; 421 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (46% daily value), Calcium (35% dv), Vitamin C (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 nonfat milk, 2 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Cinco de Mayo
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique