Mini Chile Relleno Casseroles
Everyone gets an individual portion with this vegetarian, Tex-Mex mini casserole. A normal-size casserole like this would take close to an hour to bake—these are ready in half the time. Heatproof ramekins are a cook's best friend—we use them all the time to hold ingredients while cooking. You can buy them at most grocery stores.
- 2 4-ounce cans diced green chiles, drained and patted dry
- 3/4 cup frozen corn, thawed and patted dry
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups nonfat milk
- 6 large egg whites
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat eight 6-ounce or four 10-ounce heatproof ramekins with cooking spray and place on a baking sheet.
- Equally divide green chiles, corn and scallions among the ramekins. Top each with cheese. Whisk milk, egg whites, eggs and salt in a medium bowl until combined. Divide the egg mixture evenly among the ramekins.
- Bake the mini casseroles until the tops begin to brown and the eggs are set, about 25 minutes for 6-ounce ramekins and about 35 minutes for 10-ounce ramekins.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: Eight 6-ounce or four 10-ounce heatproof ramekins
Per serving: 215 calories; 7 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 219 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 23 g protein; 3 g fiber; 726 mg sodium; 421 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (46% daily value), Calcium (35% dv), Vitamin C (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 nonfat milk, 2 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Cinco de Mayo
- Ease of Preparation