Mini Chile Relleno Casseroles
Everyone gets an individual portion with this vegetarian, Tex-Mex mini casserole. A normal-size casserole like this would take close to an hour to bake—these are ready in half the time. Heatproof ramekins are a cook's best friend—we use them all the time to hold ingredients while cooking. You can buy them at most grocery stores.
- 2 4-ounce cans diced green chiles, drained and patted dry
- 3/4 cup frozen corn, thawed and patted dry
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups nonfat milk
- 6 large egg whites
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat eight 6-ounce or four 10-ounce heatproof ramekins with cooking spray and place on a baking sheet.
- Equally divide green chiles, corn and scallions among the ramekins. Top each with cheese. Whisk milk, egg whites, eggs and salt in a medium bowl until combined. Divide the egg mixture evenly among the ramekins.
- Bake the mini casseroles until the tops begin to brown and the eggs are set, about 25 minutes for 6-ounce ramekins and about 35 minutes for 10-ounce ramekins.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: Eight 6-ounce or four 10-ounce heatproof ramekins
Per serving: 215 calories; 7 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 219 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 23 g protein; 3 g fiber; 726 mg sodium; 421 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (46% daily value), Calcium (35% dv), Vitamin C (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 nonfat milk, 2 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Make cooking Thanksgiving dinner easier with these simple...
If hungry guests are on their way for Thanksgiving dinner,...
These healthy, flavorful Thanksgiving side dishes are...
Use wild rice in a variety of healthy side dishes, including...
One of the most iconic fall vegetables, squash is a versatile...
Sauces and relishes provide the sweet or savory flavor...
Tender, sweet and just a little nutty, Brussels sprouts add a...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
There's nothing more enticing than walking into the kitchen...
If you have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, there...
Serve one of these healthy vegetarian main dishes, and you're...
The holiday season is the perfect time to use fresh...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer to make for...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Take the stress out of Thanksgiving with these easy, healthy...
- Cinco de Mayo
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Preparation/ Technique