Minestrone with Endive & Pepperoni
From EatingWell: September/October 2009
Considering that this minestrone soup incorporates mostly frozen vegetables, it is remarkably savory and aromatic. Look for frozen soup or stew vegetables with potatoes, carrots, celery and onion in the mix to give the soup the best flavor. Although pepperoni isn’t traditionally part of minestrone soup, you’ll find it’s a great shortcut to add spicy, complex flavor.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh or frozen (thawed) bell peppers, any color
- 5 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2/3 cup whole-wheat elbow noodles or other small pasta
- 1 pound frozen mixed soup (or stew) vegetables (including potatoes, carrots, celery, onion), thawed, chopped
- 1 cup frozen baby lima beans, thawed
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes with garlic and onion
- 1/2 cup diced pepperoni
- 3 cups lightly packed coarsely chopped curly endive or chard, tough stems removed
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add broth, oregano and thyme; bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Add pasta and cook for 3 minutes less than the package directions.
- Add mixed soup (or stew) vegetables and lima beans. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; boil until the vegetables are almost tender, about 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, pepperoni and endive (or chard); return to a boil. Adjust the heat and simmer until the endive (or chard) is just tender, about 5 minutes. Season with pepper and garnish with Parmesan, if desired.
Per serving: 213 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 14 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 5 g fiber; 721 mg sodium; 352 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2009