Migas with Chorizo
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Migas—a dish of eggs scrambled with torn-up corn tortillas—was created as a way to use up stale tortillas. So if you have some sitting around, use those and skip the toasting instructions in Step 1.
- 4 corn tortillas, cut into 1-by-2-inch strips
- 2 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons prepared tomato salsa
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup finely diced chorizo, (see Note)
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place tortilla strips on a baking sheet and bake until lightly crisped, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk eggs, egg whites and salsa in a medium bowl. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, jalapeno, chorizo and the toasted tortillas; cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the egg mixture, reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the eggs are set, about 2 minutes. Add tomato and cook, stirring, until heated through, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in cheese.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Chorizo, a spicy pork sausage seasoned with paprika and chili, is originally from Spain and is often used in Mexican cooking. Chorizo can be made with raw or smoked, ground or chopped pork. Chorizo is available at well-stocked supermarkets, specialty food stores or online at tienda.com.
Per serving: 375 calories; 18 g fat (6 g sat, 8 g mono); 233 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 22 g protein; 5 g fiber; 560 mg sodium; 560 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value), Vitamin A (20% dv), Calcium & Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 medium fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- EatingWell Serves Two