Migas with Chorizo
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Migas—a dish of eggs scrambled with torn-up corn tortillas—was created as a way to use up stale tortillas. So if you have some sitting around, use those and skip the toasting instructions in Step 1.
- 4 corn tortillas, cut into 1-by-2-inch strips
- 2 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons prepared tomato salsa
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup finely diced chorizo, (see Note)
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place tortilla strips on a baking sheet and bake until lightly crisped, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk eggs, egg whites and salsa in a medium bowl. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, jalapeno, chorizo and the toasted tortillas; cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the egg mixture, reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the eggs are set, about 2 minutes. Add tomato and cook, stirring, until heated through, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in cheese.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Chorizo, a spicy pork sausage seasoned with paprika and chili, is originally from Spain and is often used in Mexican cooking. Chorizo can be made with raw or smoked, ground or chopped pork. Chorizo is available at well-stocked supermarkets, specialty food stores or online at tienda.com.
Per serving: 375 calories; 18 g fat (6 g sat, 8 g mono); 233 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 22 g protein; 5 g fiber; 560 mg sodium; 560 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value), Vitamin A (20% dv), Calcium & Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 medium fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- EatingWell Serves Two