Migas with Chorizo
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Migas—a dish of eggs scrambled with torn-up corn tortillas—was created as a way to use up stale tortillas. So if you have some sitting around, use those and skip the toasting instructions in Step 1.
- 4 corn tortillas, cut into 1-by-2-inch strips
- 2 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons prepared tomato salsa
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup finely diced chorizo, (see Note)
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place tortilla strips on a baking sheet and bake until lightly crisped, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk eggs, egg whites and salsa in a medium bowl. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, jalapeno, chorizo and the toasted tortillas; cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the egg mixture, reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the eggs are set, about 2 minutes. Add tomato and cook, stirring, until heated through, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in cheese.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Chorizo, a spicy pork sausage seasoned with paprika and chili, is originally from Spain and is often used in Mexican cooking. Chorizo can be made with raw or smoked, ground or chopped pork. Chorizo is available at well-stocked supermarkets, specialty food stores or online at tienda.com.
Per serving: 375 calories; 18 g fat (6 g sat, 8 g mono); 233 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 22 g protein; 5 g fiber; 560 mg sodium; 560 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value), Vitamin A (20% dv), Calcium & Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 medium fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- EatingWell Serves Two
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)