Migas with Chorizo
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Migas—a dish of eggs scrambled with torn-up corn tortillas—was created as a way to use up stale tortillas. So if you have some sitting around, use those and skip the toasting instructions in Step 1.
- 4 corn tortillas, cut into 1-by-2-inch strips
- 2 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons prepared tomato salsa
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup finely diced chorizo, (see Note)
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place tortilla strips on a baking sheet and bake until lightly crisped, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk eggs, egg whites and salsa in a medium bowl. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, jalapeno, chorizo and the toasted tortillas; cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the egg mixture, reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the eggs are set, about 2 minutes. Add tomato and cook, stirring, until heated through, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in cheese.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Chorizo, a spicy pork sausage seasoned with paprika and chili, is originally from Spain and is often used in Mexican cooking. Chorizo can be made with raw or smoked, ground or chopped pork. Chorizo is available at well-stocked supermarkets, specialty food stores or online at tienda.com.
Per serving: 375 calories; 18 g fat (6 g sat, 8 g mono); 233 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 22 g protein; 5 g fiber; 560 mg sodium; 560 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value), Vitamin A (20% dv), Calcium & Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 medium fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- EatingWell Serves Two