Middle Eastern Layered Dip
From EatingWell: May/June 2014
This healthy dip recipe has a Middle Eastern twist—cucumbers, tomatoes, feta and olives are layered on top of a creamy base of hummus and a touch of tangy yogurt. A sprinkle of ground sumac adds a fruity, sour flavor. Look for this bright red spice (made from the tart red berries of the Mediterranean sumac bush) in Middle Eastern markets, specialty food shops and online at penzeys.com. Serve the dip with pita chips.
- 1 8-ounce container prepared hummus
- 1 cup nonfat or low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup chopped unpeeled English cucumber
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/3 cup sliced Kalamata olives
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sumac (optional; see Tip)
- Spread hummus in a shallow 2-quart dish. Layer yogurt, cucumber, tomato, olives and feta on top. Sprinkle with oregano and sumac (if using) just before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Assemble up to 1 hour ahead.
- The tart red berries of the Mediterranean sumac bush add fruity, sour flavor to many regional dishes. Find ground sumac in Middle Eastern markets, specialty food shops and online at penzeys.com.
Per serving: 49 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g total sugars; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 130 mg sodium; 85 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- July 4th
- May/June 2014