Middle Eastern Layered Dip
From EatingWell: May/June 2014
This healthy dip recipe has a Middle Eastern twist—cucumbers, tomatoes, feta and olives are layered on top of a creamy base of hummus and a touch of tangy yogurt. A sprinkle of ground sumac adds a fruity, sour flavor. Look for this bright red spice (made from the tart red berries of the Mediterranean sumac bush) in Middle Eastern markets, specialty food shops and online at penzeys.com. Serve the dip with pita chips.
- 1 8-ounce container prepared hummus
- 1 cup nonfat or low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup chopped unpeeled English cucumber
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/3 cup sliced Kalamata olives
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sumac (optional; see Tip)
- Spread hummus in a shallow 2-quart dish. Layer yogurt, cucumber, tomato, olives and feta on top. Sprinkle with oregano and sumac (if using) just before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Assemble up to 1 hour ahead.
- The tart red berries of the Mediterranean sumac bush add fruity, sour flavor to many regional dishes. Find ground sumac in Middle Eastern markets, specialty food shops and online at penzeys.com.
Per serving: 49 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g total sugars; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 130 mg sodium; 85 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- July 4th
- Type of Dish
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- May/June 2014