Middle Eastern Layered Dip
From EatingWell: May/June 2014
This healthy dip recipe has a Middle Eastern twist—cucumbers, tomatoes, feta and olives are layered on top of a creamy base of hummus and a touch of tangy yogurt. A sprinkle of ground sumac adds a fruity, sour flavor. Look for this bright red spice (made from the tart red berries of the Mediterranean sumac bush) in Middle Eastern markets, specialty food shops and online at penzeys.com. Serve the dip with pita chips.
- 1 8-ounce container prepared hummus
- 1 cup nonfat or low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup chopped unpeeled English cucumber
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/3 cup sliced Kalamata olives
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sumac (optional; see Tip)
- Spread hummus in a shallow 2-quart dish. Layer yogurt, cucumber, tomato, olives and feta on top. Sprinkle with oregano and sumac (if using) just before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Assemble up to 1 hour ahead.
- The tart red berries of the Mediterranean sumac bush add fruity, sour flavor to many regional dishes. Find ground sumac in Middle Eastern markets, specialty food shops and online at penzeys.com.
Per serving: 49 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g total sugars; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 130 mg sodium; 85 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- July 4th
- Type of Dish
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- May/June 2014