Middle Eastern Layered Dip
From EatingWell: May/June 2014
This healthy dip recipe has a Middle Eastern twist—cucumbers, tomatoes, feta and olives are layered on top of a creamy base of hummus and a touch of tangy yogurt. A sprinkle of ground sumac adds a fruity, sour flavor. Look for this bright red spice (made from the tart red berries of the Mediterranean sumac bush) in Middle Eastern markets, specialty food shops and online at penzeys.com. Serve the dip with pita chips.
- 1 8-ounce container prepared hummus
- 1 cup nonfat or low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup chopped unpeeled English cucumber
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/3 cup sliced Kalamata olives
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sumac (optional; see Tip)
- Spread hummus in a shallow 2-quart dish. Layer yogurt, cucumber, tomato, olives and feta on top. Sprinkle with oregano and sumac (if using) just before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Assemble up to 1 hour ahead.
- The tart red berries of the Mediterranean sumac bush add fruity, sour flavor to many regional dishes. Find ground sumac in Middle Eastern markets, specialty food shops and online at penzeys.com.
Per serving: 49 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g total sugars; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 130 mg sodium; 85 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- July 4th
- May/June 2014