Middle Eastern Layered Dip
From EatingWell: May/June 2014
This healthy dip recipe has a Middle Eastern twist—cucumbers, tomatoes, feta and olives are layered on top of a creamy base of hummus and a touch of tangy yogurt. A sprinkle of ground sumac adds a fruity, sour flavor. Look for this bright red spice (made from the tart red berries of the Mediterranean sumac bush) in Middle Eastern markets, specialty food shops and online at penzeys.com. Serve the dip with pita chips.
- 1 8-ounce container prepared hummus
- 1 cup nonfat or low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup chopped unpeeled English cucumber
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/3 cup sliced Kalamata olives
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sumac (optional; see Tip)
- Spread hummus in a shallow 2-quart dish. Layer yogurt, cucumber, tomato, olives and feta on top. Sprinkle with oregano and sumac (if using) just before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Assemble up to 1 hour ahead.
- The tart red berries of the Mediterranean sumac bush add fruity, sour flavor to many regional dishes. Find ground sumac in Middle Eastern markets, specialty food shops and online at penzeys.com.
Per serving: 49 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g total sugars; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 130 mg sodium; 85 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- July 4th
- Type of Dish
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- May/June 2014