Middle Eastern Chickpea & Rice Stew
The nutty goodness of slowly browned onions, spices and sweet potato are offset by a burst of fresh cilantro in this chickpea and rice stew. Serve this hearty dish with whole-wheat pita and a salad of sliced cucumbers tossed with yogurt and a pinch of salt.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 cup orange juice
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, rinsed
- 3 cups peeled and diced sweet potato, (about 1 pound)
- 2/3 cup brown basmati rice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat; add onions and cook, stirring often, until tender and well browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Add cumin and coriander and stir for about 15 seconds. Add orange juice and broth. Stir in chickpeas, sweet potato, rice and salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a gentle simmer and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the rice is tender and the sweet potatoes are breaking down to thicken the liquid, about 45 minutes. Season with pepper. (The stew will be thick and will thicken further upon standing. Add more broth to thin, if desired, or when reheating.) Serve topped with cilantro.
Per serving: 317 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 58 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 9 g fiber; 362 mg sodium; 461 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (220% daily value), Vitamin C (50% dv), Fiber (37% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation