Middle Eastern Chickpea & Rice Stew
The nutty goodness of slowly browned onions, spices and sweet potato are offset by a burst of fresh cilantro in this chickpea and rice stew. Serve this hearty dish with whole-wheat pita and a salad of sliced cucumbers tossed with yogurt and a pinch of salt.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 cup orange juice
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, rinsed
- 3 cups peeled and diced sweet potato, (about 1 pound)
- 2/3 cup brown basmati rice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat; add onions and cook, stirring often, until tender and well browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Add cumin and coriander and stir for about 15 seconds. Add orange juice and broth. Stir in chickpeas, sweet potato, rice and salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a gentle simmer and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the rice is tender and the sweet potatoes are breaking down to thicken the liquid, about 45 minutes. Season with pepper. (The stew will be thick and will thicken further upon standing. Add more broth to thin, if desired, or when reheating.) Serve topped with cilantro.
Per serving: 317 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 58 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 9 g fiber; 362 mg sodium; 461 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (220% daily value), Vitamin C (50% dv), Fiber (37% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient