Middle Eastern Chickpea & Rice Stew
The nutty goodness of slowly browned onions, spices and sweet potato are offset by a burst of fresh cilantro in this chickpea and rice stew. Serve this hearty dish with whole-wheat pita and a salad of sliced cucumbers tossed with yogurt and a pinch of salt.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 cup orange juice
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, rinsed
- 3 cups peeled and diced sweet potato, (about 1 pound)
- 2/3 cup brown basmati rice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat; add onions and cook, stirring often, until tender and well browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Add cumin and coriander and stir for about 15 seconds. Add orange juice and broth. Stir in chickpeas, sweet potato, rice and salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a gentle simmer and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the rice is tender and the sweet potatoes are breaking down to thicken the liquid, about 45 minutes. Season with pepper. (The stew will be thick and will thicken further upon standing. Add more broth to thin, if desired, or when reheating.) Serve topped with cilantro.
Per serving: 317 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 58 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 9 g fiber; 362 mg sodium; 461 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (220% daily value), Vitamin C (50% dv), Fiber (37% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient