Middle Eastern Chickpea & Rice Stew
The nutty goodness of slowly browned onions, spices and sweet potato are offset by a burst of fresh cilantro in this chickpea and rice stew. Serve this hearty dish with whole-wheat pita and a salad of sliced cucumbers tossed with yogurt and a pinch of salt.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 cup orange juice
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, rinsed
- 3 cups peeled and diced sweet potato, (about 1 pound)
- 2/3 cup brown basmati rice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat; add onions and cook, stirring often, until tender and well browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Add cumin and coriander and stir for about 15 seconds. Add orange juice and broth. Stir in chickpeas, sweet potato, rice and salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a gentle simmer and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the rice is tender and the sweet potatoes are breaking down to thicken the liquid, about 45 minutes. Season with pepper. (The stew will be thick and will thicken further upon standing. Add more broth to thin, if desired, or when reheating.) Serve topped with cilantro.
Per serving: 317 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 58 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 9 g fiber; 362 mg sodium; 461 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (220% daily value), Vitamin C (50% dv), Fiber (37% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient