Mexican Tuna Salad
South-of-the-border seasonings spice up a basic tuna salad. Serve over lettuce or try as an appetizer dip with baked corn chips.
- 1 6-ounce can chunk light tuna in water, drained and flaked (see Note)
- 1 green bell pepper, minced
- 2 scallions, minced
- 1/4 cup prepared green salsa
- 6 pimiento-stuffed olives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Combine tuna, bell pepper, scallions, salsa, olives, mayonnaise, lime juice and cumin in a medium bowl. Mix with a fork; season with pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Note: Chunk light tuna, which comes from the smaller skipjack or yellowfin, has less mercury than canned white albacore tuna. The FDA/EPA advises that women who are or might become pregnant, nursing mothers and young children consume no more than 6 ounces of albacore a week; up to 12 ounces of canned light tuna is considered safe.
Per serving: 192 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 31 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 23 g protein; 2 g fiber; 841 mg sodium; 372 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (100% daily value), Selenium (97% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 very lean meat, 1 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique