Mexican Tuna Salad
South-of-the-border seasonings spice up a basic tuna salad. Serve over lettuce or try as an appetizer dip with baked corn chips.
- 1 6-ounce can chunk light tuna in water, drained and flaked (see Note)
- 1 green bell pepper, minced
- 2 scallions, minced
- 1/4 cup prepared green salsa
- 6 pimiento-stuffed olives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Combine tuna, bell pepper, scallions, salsa, olives, mayonnaise, lime juice and cumin in a medium bowl. Mix with a fork; season with pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Note: Chunk light tuna, which comes from the smaller skipjack or yellowfin, has less mercury than canned white albacore tuna. The FDA/EPA advises that women who are or might become pregnant, nursing mothers and young children consume no more than 6 ounces of albacore a week; up to 12 ounces of canned light tuna is considered safe.
Per serving: 192 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 31 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 23 g protein; 2 g fiber; 841 mg sodium; 372 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (100% daily value), Selenium (97% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 very lean meat, 1 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique