Mexican Tuna Salad
South-of-the-border seasonings spice up a basic tuna salad. Serve over lettuce or try as an appetizer dip with baked corn chips.
- 1 6-ounce can chunk light tuna in water, drained and flaked (see Note)
- 1 green bell pepper, minced
- 2 scallions, minced
- 1/4 cup prepared green salsa
- 6 pimiento-stuffed olives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Combine tuna, bell pepper, scallions, salsa, olives, mayonnaise, lime juice and cumin in a medium bowl. Mix with a fork; season with pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Note: Chunk light tuna, which comes from the smaller skipjack or yellowfin, has less mercury than canned white albacore tuna. The FDA/EPA advises that women who are or might become pregnant, nursing mothers and young children consume no more than 6 ounces of albacore a week; up to 12 ounces of canned light tuna is considered safe.
Per serving: 192 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 31 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 23 g protein; 2 g fiber; 841 mg sodium; 372 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (100% daily value), Selenium (97% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 very lean meat, 1 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation