Try this thick main-dish soup—full of chickpeas, tomatoes, lean ground beef and spices—with cornbread.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 8 ounces lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 medium tomatoes, chopped (8 cups)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, undrained
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 4-ounce can chopped green chiles
- 1 cup corn, (1 ear)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Hot pepper sauce, to taste (optional)
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add ground beef, onion and garlic and sauté until ground beef is just brown and the onion is tender, about 3 minutes. Drain fat. Add tomatoes, chili powder, oregano and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 45 minutes.
- Add chickpeas, carrots and chiles. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Add corn and simmer, covered, until corn is tender, about 15 minutes. Taste and add salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce, if using. Garnish with cilantro, if using.
Per serving: 192 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 7 g fiber; 295 mg sodium; 991 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (134% daily value), Vitamin C (80% dv), Potassium (28% dv), Folate (18% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 3 vegetable, 1/2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient