Try this thick main-dish soup—full of chickpeas, tomatoes, lean ground beef and spices—with cornbread.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 8 ounces lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 medium tomatoes, chopped (8 cups)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, undrained
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 4-ounce can chopped green chiles
- 1 cup corn, (1 ear)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Hot pepper sauce, to taste (optional)
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add ground beef, onion and garlic and sauté until ground beef is just brown and the onion is tender, about 3 minutes. Drain fat. Add tomatoes, chili powder, oregano and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 45 minutes.
- Add chickpeas, carrots and chiles. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Add corn and simmer, covered, until corn is tender, about 15 minutes. Taste and add salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce, if using. Garnish with cilantro, if using.
Per serving: 192 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 7 g fiber; 295 mg sodium; 991 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (134% daily value), Vitamin C (80% dv), Potassium (28% dv), Folate (18% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 3 vegetable, 1/2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient