Try this thick main-dish soup—full of chickpeas, tomatoes, lean ground beef and spices—with cornbread.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 8 ounces lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 medium tomatoes, chopped (8 cups)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, undrained
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 4-ounce can chopped green chiles
- 1 cup corn, (1 ear)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Hot pepper sauce, to taste (optional)
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add ground beef, onion and garlic and sauté until ground beef is just brown and the onion is tender, about 3 minutes. Drain fat. Add tomatoes, chili powder, oregano and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 45 minutes.
- Add chickpeas, carrots and chiles. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Add corn and simmer, covered, until corn is tender, about 15 minutes. Taste and add salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce, if using. Garnish with cilantro, if using.
Per serving: 192 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 7 g fiber; 295 mg sodium; 991 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (134% daily value), Vitamin C (80% dv), Potassium (28% dv), Folate (18% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 3 vegetable, 1/2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient