Try this thick main-dish soup—full of chickpeas, tomatoes, lean ground beef and spices—with cornbread.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 8 ounces lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 medium tomatoes, chopped (8 cups)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, undrained
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 4-ounce can chopped green chiles
- 1 cup corn, (1 ear)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Hot pepper sauce, to taste (optional)
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add ground beef, onion and garlic and sauté until ground beef is just brown and the onion is tender, about 3 minutes. Drain fat. Add tomatoes, chili powder, oregano and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 45 minutes.
- Add chickpeas, carrots and chiles. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Add corn and simmer, covered, until corn is tender, about 15 minutes. Taste and add salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce, if using. Garnish with cilantro, if using.
Per serving: 192 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 7 g fiber; 295 mg sodium; 991 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (134% daily value), Vitamin C (80% dv), Potassium (28% dv), Folate (18% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 3 vegetable, 1/2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient