Try this thick main-dish soup—full of chickpeas, tomatoes, lean ground beef and spices—with cornbread.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 8 ounces lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 medium tomatoes, chopped (8 cups)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, undrained
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 4-ounce can chopped green chiles
- 1 cup corn, (1 ear)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Hot pepper sauce, to taste (optional)
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add ground beef, onion and garlic and sauté until ground beef is just brown and the onion is tender, about 3 minutes. Drain fat. Add tomatoes, chili powder, oregano and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 45 minutes.
- Add chickpeas, carrots and chiles. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Add corn and simmer, covered, until corn is tender, about 15 minutes. Taste and add salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce, if using. Garnish with cilantro, if using.
Per serving: 192 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 7 g fiber; 295 mg sodium; 991 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (134% daily value), Vitamin C (80% dv), Potassium (28% dv), Folate (18% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 3 vegetable, 1/2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour