Nina’s Mexican Rice
From EatingWell: May/June 2010
The key to nutty and flavorful Mexican rice is cooking the rice first in oil until it is nicely golden.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup long-grain white rice (see Brown Rice Variation)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup frozen mixed vegetables (such as corn, peas and carrots), thawed
- Heat a large heavy saucepan with a tight-fitting lid over medium heat. Add oil and rice and cook, stirring, until the rice is just beginning to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Add onion and salt and cook, stirring, until the onion begins to soften, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 minute more. Pour tomato sauce over the rice and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Stir in broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until the rice is cooked, about 15 minutes. Stir in vegetables and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Brown Rice Variation: Use 1 cup long-grain brown rice and 1 3/4 cups broth. In Step 2, simmer for 45 minutes. Remove the rice from the heat and let stand, covered, for 15 minutes before adding the vegetables.
Per serving: 193 calories; 5 g fat (0 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 438 mg sodium; 254 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (25% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- Cinco de Mayo
- May/June 2010
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)