Nina’s Mexican Rice
From EatingWell: May/June 2010
The key to nutty and flavorful Mexican rice is cooking the rice first in oil until it is nicely golden.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup long-grain white rice (see Brown Rice Variation)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup frozen mixed vegetables (such as corn, peas and carrots), thawed
- Heat a large heavy saucepan with a tight-fitting lid over medium heat. Add oil and rice and cook, stirring, until the rice is just beginning to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Add onion and salt and cook, stirring, until the onion begins to soften, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 minute more. Pour tomato sauce over the rice and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Stir in broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until the rice is cooked, about 15 minutes. Stir in vegetables and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Brown Rice Variation: Use 1 cup long-grain brown rice and 1 3/4 cups broth. In Step 2, simmer for 45 minutes. Remove the rice from the heat and let stand, covered, for 15 minutes before adding the vegetables.
Per serving: 193 calories; 5 g fat (0 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 438 mg sodium; 254 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (25% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- Cinco de Mayo
- Ease of Preparation
- May/June 2010