Nina’s Mexican Rice
From EatingWell: May/June 2010
The key to nutty and flavorful Mexican rice is cooking the rice first in oil until it is nicely golden.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup long-grain white rice (see Brown Rice Variation)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup frozen mixed vegetables (such as corn, peas and carrots), thawed
- Heat a large heavy saucepan with a tight-fitting lid over medium heat. Add oil and rice and cook, stirring, until the rice is just beginning to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Add onion and salt and cook, stirring, until the onion begins to soften, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 minute more. Pour tomato sauce over the rice and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Stir in broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until the rice is cooked, about 15 minutes. Stir in vegetables and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Brown Rice Variation: Use 1 cup long-grain brown rice and 1 3/4 cups broth. In Step 2, simmer for 45 minutes. Remove the rice from the heat and let stand, covered, for 15 minutes before adding the vegetables.
Per serving: 193 calories; 5 g fat (0 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 438 mg sodium; 254 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (25% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- Preparation/ Technique
- Cinco de Mayo
- Ease of Preparation
- May/June 2010