Nina’s Mexican Rice
From EatingWell: May/June 2010
The key to nutty and flavorful Mexican rice is cooking the rice first in oil until it is nicely golden.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup long-grain white rice (see Brown Rice Variation)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup frozen mixed vegetables (such as corn, peas and carrots), thawed
- Heat a large heavy saucepan with a tight-fitting lid over medium heat. Add oil and rice and cook, stirring, until the rice is just beginning to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Add onion and salt and cook, stirring, until the onion begins to soften, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 minute more. Pour tomato sauce over the rice and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Stir in broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until the rice is cooked, about 15 minutes. Stir in vegetables and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Brown Rice Variation: Use 1 cup long-grain brown rice and 1 3/4 cups broth. In Step 2, simmer for 45 minutes. Remove the rice from the heat and let stand, covered, for 15 minutes before adding the vegetables.
Per serving: 193 calories; 5 g fat (0 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 438 mg sodium; 254 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (25% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- Cinco de Mayo
- May/June 2010