Mexican Potato Omelet
Whip up this simple, tasty omelet on those nights when it seems the refrigerator is bare. Frozen hash browns are perfect for such occasions--just look for a brand with little or no fat. And while the cheese adds some fat, it also provides almost a third of your daily calcium needs.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 cup frozen hash-brown potatoes, or diced cooked potatoes
- 1 4-1/2-ounce can chopped mild green chiles
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup grated pepper Jack, or Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro, or parsley
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add potatoes and cook until golden brown, shaking the pan and tossing the potatoes from time to time, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in chiles and transfer to a plate. Wipe out the pan.
- Blend eggs, hot sauce, salt and pepper with a fork in a medium bowl. Stir in cheese, scallions, cilantro (or parsley) and the potato mixture.
- Set a rack about 4 inches from the heat source; preheat the broiler.
- Brush the pan with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil; heat over medium heat. Pour in the egg mixture and tilt to distribute evenly. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until the bottom is light golden, lifting the edges to allow uncooked egg to flow underneath, 3 to 4 minutes. Place the pan under the broiler and cook until the top is set, 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 minutes. Slide the omelet onto a platter and cut into wedges.
Per serving: 335 calories; 23 g fat (9 g sat, 7 g mono); 402 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 21 g protein; 2 g fiber; 872 mg sodium; 250 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (52% daily value), Calcium (30% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 medium-fat protein, 1 high-fat protein, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)