Enjoy this crunchy, refreshing alternative to mayonnaise-based coleslaw on a taco or on the side.
- 6 cups very thinly sliced green cabbage, (about 1/2 head) (see Tip)
- 1 1/2 cups peeled and grated carrots, (2-3 medium)
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place cabbage and carrots in a colander; rinse thoroughly with cold water to crisp. Let drain for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk cilantro, vinegar, oil and salt in a large bowl. Add cabbage and carrots; toss well to coat.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Toss again to refresh just before serving.
- Tip: To make this coleslaw even faster, use a coleslaw mix containing cabbage and carrots from the produce section of the supermarket.
Per serving: 53 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 97 mg sodium; 199 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (50% daily value), Vitamin C (30% dv), phytochemicals sulforaphane and indoles.
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat (mono
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique