Melon, Tomato & Onion Salad with Goat Cheese
In this beautiful riff on the traditional tomato, mozzarella and basil salad, sweet melon slices are layered with tomato and cucumber and topped with crumbled goat cheese, crisp onion and fresh basil. Any variety of pale green- or orange-fleshed melon will work well. Compose the salad on a large platter for a crowd or make it more elegant by assembling it on individual plates. Either way it'll look gorgeous.
- 1 cup very thinly sliced sweet white onion, separated into rings
- 1 small firm ripe melon
- 2 large tomatoes, very thinly sliced
- 1 small cucumber, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup very thinly sliced fresh basil
- Place onion rings in a medium bowl, add cold water to cover and a handful of ice cubes. Set aside for about 20 minutes. Drain and pat dry.
- Meanwhile, cut melon in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Remove the rind with a sharp knife. Place each melon half cut-side down and slice crosswise into 1/8-inch-thick slices.
- Make the salad on a large platter or 8 individual salad plates. Begin by arranging a ring of melon slices around the edge. Top with a layer of overlapping tomato slices. Arrange a second ring of melon slices toward the center. Top with the remaining tomato slices. Tuck cucumber slices between the layers of tomato and melon. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top with goat cheese and the onion rings. Drizzle with oil and vinegar. Sprinkle with basil.
Per serving: 194 calories; 12 g fat (4 g sat, 6 g mono); 11 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 175 mg sodium; 571 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (62% daily value), Potassium (17% dv), Vitamin A (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1/2 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer