Melon, Tomato & Onion Salad with Goat Cheese
In this beautiful riff on the traditional tomato, mozzarella and basil salad, sweet melon slices are layered with tomato and cucumber and topped with crumbled goat cheese, crisp onion and fresh basil. Any variety of pale green- or orange-fleshed melon will work well. Compose the salad on a large platter for a crowd or make it more elegant by assembling it on individual plates. Either way it'll look gorgeous.
- 1 cup very thinly sliced sweet white onion, separated into rings
- 1 small firm ripe melon
- 2 large tomatoes, very thinly sliced
- 1 small cucumber, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup very thinly sliced fresh basil
- Place onion rings in a medium bowl, add cold water to cover and a handful of ice cubes. Set aside for about 20 minutes. Drain and pat dry.
- Meanwhile, cut melon in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Remove the rind with a sharp knife. Place each melon half cut-side down and slice crosswise into 1/8-inch-thick slices.
- Make the salad on a large platter or 8 individual salad plates. Begin by arranging a ring of melon slices around the edge. Top with a layer of overlapping tomato slices. Arrange a second ring of melon slices toward the center. Top with the remaining tomato slices. Tuck cucumber slices between the layers of tomato and melon. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top with goat cheese and the onion rings. Drizzle with oil and vinegar. Sprinkle with basil.
Per serving: 194 calories; 12 g fat (4 g sat, 6 g mono); 11 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 175 mg sodium; 571 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (62% daily value), Potassium (17% dv), Vitamin A (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1/2 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer