From EatingWell: July/August 2009
Traditional panzanella, Italian bread salad, was the inspiration for this dish. This variation uses sweet, ripe melon instead of tomatoes, plus peppery arugula and a touch of sizzled prosciutto to complement the taste of the melon. Try firm-textured orange- or green-fleshed melons, such as honeydew, casaba, cantaloupe or Galia. We even like it with watermelon.
- 4 ounces whole-grain bread, torn into bite-size pieces (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 ounce thinly sliced prosciutto, cut into thin strips (about 1/3 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups torn arugula leaves
- 2 cups cubed firm ripe melon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Spread bread pieces on a baking sheet. Bake until lightly toasted, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add prosciutto and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 30 seconds more. Remove from the heat and stir in vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Place arugula, melon, basil and the toasted bread in a large bowl. Add the prosciutto mixture and toss to combine. Let the salad stand for about 20 minutes before serving so the bread can absorb some of the dressing.
Per serving: 130 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 277 mg sodium; 149 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2009