From EatingWell: July/August 2009
Traditional panzanella, Italian bread salad, was the inspiration for this dish. This variation uses sweet, ripe melon instead of tomatoes, plus peppery arugula and a touch of sizzled prosciutto to complement the taste of the melon. Try firm-textured orange- or green-fleshed melons, such as honeydew, casaba, cantaloupe or Galia. We even like it with watermelon.
- 4 ounces whole-grain bread, torn into bite-size pieces (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 ounce thinly sliced prosciutto, cut into thin strips (about 1/3 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups torn arugula leaves
- 2 cups cubed firm ripe melon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Spread bread pieces on a baking sheet. Bake until lightly toasted, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add prosciutto and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 30 seconds more. Remove from the heat and stir in vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Place arugula, melon, basil and the toasted bread in a large bowl. Add the prosciutto mixture and toss to combine. Let the salad stand for about 20 minutes before serving so the bread can absorb some of the dressing.
Per serving: 130 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 277 mg sodium; 149 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- July/August 2009