Melon & Chicken Pasta Salad
From EatingWell: May/June 2013
Melon, prosciutto and dried cranberries pair well together in this chicken pasta salad recipe. Fresh grilled chicken breast is best, but you can save time by using roasted or grilled chicken from the supermarket. For the best flavor, combine the pasta salad with the dressing about 1 hour before serving.
about 1 1/3 cups
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon or 1 tablespoon dried
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 8 ounces (about 3 cups) whole-wheat bowtie pasta
- 2 cups cubed cantaloupe or honeydew melon
- 2 cups thinly sliced baby spinach
- 2 cups cubed or shredded cooked chicken
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped prosciutto (about 3 ounces)
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- To prepare dressing: Mash garlic and salt in a medium bowl with the back of a spoon into a chunky paste. Add buttermilk, mayonnaise, tarragon and vinegar; whisk until combined.
- To prepare pasta salad: Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water according to package directions. Drain, transfer to a large bowl and let cool. Add melon, spinach, chicken, cranberries, prosciutto, pepper and the dressing; toss to coat.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate, without dressing, for up to 1 day. Toss with the dressing about 1 hour before serving.
Per serving: 294 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 54 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 4 g fiber; 633 mg sodium; 400 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (57% daily value), Vitamin C (38% dv), Magnesium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 2 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- July 4th
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- May/June 2013