Melon & Chicken Pasta Salad
From EatingWell: May/June 2013
Melon, prosciutto and dried cranberries pair well together in this chicken pasta salad recipe. Fresh grilled chicken breast is best, but you can save time by using roasted or grilled chicken from the supermarket. For the best flavor, combine the pasta salad with the dressing about 1 hour before serving.
about 1 1/3 cups
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon or 1 tablespoon dried
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 8 ounces (about 3 cups) whole-wheat bowtie pasta
- 2 cups cubed cantaloupe or honeydew melon
- 2 cups thinly sliced baby spinach
- 2 cups cubed or shredded cooked chicken
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped prosciutto (about 3 ounces)
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- To prepare dressing: Mash garlic and salt in a medium bowl with the back of a spoon into a chunky paste. Add buttermilk, mayonnaise, tarragon and vinegar; whisk until combined.
- To prepare pasta salad: Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water according to package directions. Drain, transfer to a large bowl and let cool. Add melon, spinach, chicken, cranberries, prosciutto, pepper and the dressing; toss to coat.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate, without dressing, for up to 1 day. Toss with the dressing about 1 hour before serving.
Per serving: 294 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 54 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 4 g fiber; 633 mg sodium; 400 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (57% daily value), Vitamin C (38% dv), Magnesium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 2 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- July 4th
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- May/June 2013