Melon & Apple Granita
From EatingWell: July/August 2009
This granita uses sweet ripe melon for flavor, apple juice instead of sugar and a touch of lime juice to perk up the flavors. Berries look beautiful on top; or if you can find fresh figs, add them. For a vibrant look, make with an orange-fleshed melon, such as cantaloupe, Charentais or orange honeydew.
- 4 cups cubed ripe melon
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- Fresh mint leaves, for garnish
- Combine melon, apple juice and lime juice in a blender; puree until smooth. Pour the mixture into a 9-by-13-inch glass or metal pan.
- Place the pan on a level surface in your freezer. Freeze, stirring and scraping with a fork every 30 minutes, moving the frozen edges in toward the slushy center and crushing any lumps, until the granita is firm but not frozen solid, 3 to 4 hours.
- Remove from the freezer; use a metal spatula or large spoon to break up the frozen ice into small slivers. Pack into an airtight plastic container and freeze for at least 1 hour more.
- Remove from the freezer about 20 minutes before serving to soften slightly. Use a wide spoon or ice cream scoop to scrape the granita into shallow bowls. Sprinkle blueberries and raspberries over each portion and garnish with mint leaves, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Freeze for up to 1 week. Remove about 20 minutes before serving to soften slightly.
Per serving: 66 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 17 mg sodium; 277 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (40% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2009