Melange of Roasted Baby Vegetables
Fresh thyme and a golden maple glaze season this attractive mixture of tiny root vegetables.
- 1 1/2 cups pearl onions
- 2 cups baby carrots, (1/4 inch of greens left on) or mini carrots
- 12 ounces baby turnips, peeled (1/4 inch of greens left on) and halved, if large, or regular turnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 10 sprigs fresh thyme, or lemon thyme
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, divided
- Preheat oven to 450° F. Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Add onions and boil for 1 minute. Drain and rinse under cold running water. Using a sharp paring knife, trim root ends and peel.
- Combine the onions, carrots, turnips, oil, 1 teaspoon maple syrup, salt, pepper and thyme sprigs in a large bowl; toss to coat well. Spread the vegetable mixture in a single layer on a large baking sheet with sides. Roast, turning the vegetables twice, until tender and lightly browned in spots, about 30 minutes.
- Transfer the vegetables to a large bowl; remove thyme stems. Drizzle with the remaining 1 teaspoon syrup, vinegar and 1 tablespoon parsley; toss to coat. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon parsley and serve.
Per serving: 121 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 4 g fiber; 417 mg sodium; 476 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: 240% dv vitamin a, 33 mg vitamin c (50% dv), 476 mg potassium (24% dv), 16% dv fiber.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 4 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation