Melange of Roasted Baby Vegetables
Fresh thyme and a golden maple glaze season this attractive mixture of tiny root vegetables.
- 1 1/2 cups pearl onions
- 2 cups baby carrots, (1/4 inch of greens left on) or mini carrots
- 12 ounces baby turnips, peeled (1/4 inch of greens left on) and halved, if large, or regular turnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 10 sprigs fresh thyme, or lemon thyme
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, divided
- Preheat oven to 450° F. Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Add onions and boil for 1 minute. Drain and rinse under cold running water. Using a sharp paring knife, trim root ends and peel.
- Combine the onions, carrots, turnips, oil, 1 teaspoon maple syrup, salt, pepper and thyme sprigs in a large bowl; toss to coat well. Spread the vegetable mixture in a single layer on a large baking sheet with sides. Roast, turning the vegetables twice, until tender and lightly browned in spots, about 30 minutes.
- Transfer the vegetables to a large bowl; remove thyme stems. Drizzle with the remaining 1 teaspoon syrup, vinegar and 1 tablespoon parsley; toss to coat. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon parsley and serve.
Per serving: 121 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 4 g fiber; 417 mg sodium; 476 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: 240% dv vitamin a, 33 mg vitamin c (50% dv), 476 mg potassium (24% dv), 16% dv fiber.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 4 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique