Melange of Roasted Baby Vegetables
Fresh thyme and a golden maple glaze season this attractive mixture of tiny root vegetables.
- 1 1/2 cups pearl onions
- 2 cups baby carrots, (1/4 inch of greens left on) or mini carrots
- 12 ounces baby turnips, peeled (1/4 inch of greens left on) and halved, if large, or regular turnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 10 sprigs fresh thyme, or lemon thyme
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, divided
- Preheat oven to 450° F. Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Add onions and boil for 1 minute. Drain and rinse under cold running water. Using a sharp paring knife, trim root ends and peel.
- Combine the onions, carrots, turnips, oil, 1 teaspoon maple syrup, salt, pepper and thyme sprigs in a large bowl; toss to coat well. Spread the vegetable mixture in a single layer on a large baking sheet with sides. Roast, turning the vegetables twice, until tender and lightly browned in spots, about 30 minutes.
- Transfer the vegetables to a large bowl; remove thyme stems. Drizzle with the remaining 1 teaspoon syrup, vinegar and 1 tablespoon parsley; toss to coat. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon parsley and serve.
Per serving: 121 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 4 g fiber; 417 mg sodium; 476 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: 240% dv vitamin a, 33 mg vitamin c (50% dv), 476 mg potassium (24% dv), 16% dv fiber.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 4 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique