Melange of Roasted Baby Vegetables
Fresh thyme and a golden maple glaze season this attractive mixture of tiny root vegetables.
- 1 1/2 cups pearl onions
- 2 cups baby carrots, (1/4 inch of greens left on) or mini carrots
- 12 ounces baby turnips, peeled (1/4 inch of greens left on) and halved, if large, or regular turnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 10 sprigs fresh thyme, or lemon thyme
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, divided
- Preheat oven to 450° F. Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Add onions and boil for 1 minute. Drain and rinse under cold running water. Using a sharp paring knife, trim root ends and peel.
- Combine the onions, carrots, turnips, oil, 1 teaspoon maple syrup, salt, pepper and thyme sprigs in a large bowl; toss to coat well. Spread the vegetable mixture in a single layer on a large baking sheet with sides. Roast, turning the vegetables twice, until tender and lightly browned in spots, about 30 minutes.
- Transfer the vegetables to a large bowl; remove thyme stems. Drizzle with the remaining 1 teaspoon syrup, vinegar and 1 tablespoon parsley; toss to coat. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon parsley and serve.
Per serving: 121 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 4 g fiber; 417 mg sodium; 476 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: 240% dv vitamin a, 33 mg vitamin c (50% dv), 476 mg potassium (24% dv), 16% dv fiber.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 4 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique