Mediterranean Tuna Panini
From EatingWell: July/August 2007
For a great sandwich filling, spike canned tuna with salty olives and capers, bright lemon juice and tangy feta.
- 2 6-ounce cans chunk light tuna, drained (see Note)
- 1 plum tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped marinated artichoke hearts
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped pitted kalamata olives
- 1 teaspoon capers, rinsed and chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 slices whole-wheat bread
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- Have four 15-ounce cans and a medium skillet (not nonstick) ready by the stove.
- Place tuna in a medium bowl and flake with a fork. Add tomato, feta, artichokes, onion, olives, capers, lemon juice and pepper; stir to combine. Divide the tuna mixture among 4 slices of bread (about 1/2 cup each). Top with the remaining bread.
- Heat 1 teaspoon canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place 2 panini in the pan. Place the medium skillet on top of the panini, then weigh it down with the cans. Cook the panini until golden on one side, about 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low, flip the panini, replace the top skillet and cans, and cook until the second side is golden, 1 to 3 minutes more. Repeat with another 1 teaspoon oil and the remaining panini.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Chunk light tuna, which comes from the smaller skipjack or yellowfin, has less mercury than canned white albacore tuna. The FDA/EPA advises that women who are or might become pregnant, nursing mothers and young children consume no more than 6 ounces of albacore a week; up to 12 ounces of canned light tuna is considered safe.
Per serving: 336 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 61 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 34 g protein; 5 g fiber; 543 mg sodium; 52 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (20% daily value), Calcium & Iron (15% dv), omega-3s.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 3 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Super Bowl
- July/August 2007