Mediterranean Tuna Antipasto Salad for Two
Capers, red onion and fresh herbs give canned tuna and beans a light, fresh taste. Here we serve the tuna salad on a bed of greens. It also works well stuffed into a pita for a sandwich. Give it some extra kick with a pinch of crushed red pepper or cayenne. Serve with olive bread.
- 1/2 15- to 19-ounce can beans, such as chickpeas, black-eyed peas or kidney beans, rinsed, or 1 7-ounce can
- 1 5- to 6-ounce can water-packed chunk light tuna, drained and flaked (see Note)
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 2 teaspoons capers, rinsed
- 3/4 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups mixed salad greens
- Combine beans, tuna, bell pepper, onion, parsley, capers, rosemary, 2 tablespoons lemon juice and 1 tablespoon oil in a medium bowl. Season with pepper. Combine the remaining 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1 tablespoon oil and salt in a large bowl. Add salad greens; toss to coat. Divide the greens between 2 plates. Top each with the tuna salad.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Chunk light tuna, which comes from the smaller skipjack or yellowfin, has less mercury than canned white albacore tuna. The FDA/EPA advises that women who are or might become pregnant, nursing mothers and young children consume no more than 6 ounces of albacore a week; up to 12 ounces of canned light tuna is considered safe.
Per serving: 326 calories; 17 g fat (2 g sat, 11 g mono); 17 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 22 g protein; 10 g fiber; 652 mg sodium; 681 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (160% daily value), Vitamin A (100% dv), Folate (42% dv), Potassium & Iron (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 1/2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique