Mediterranean Sautéed Shrimp & Fennel
From EatingWell: November/December 2009
Serve this sautéed fennel and shrimp with a tomato-caper sauce in whatever way suits your fancy—with pasta, whole grains, such as bulgur or brown rice, or even mashed potatoes. Serve with: A mixed green salad.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large fennel bulb, cored and cut into 2-inch-long strips (about 4 cups)
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 pound peeled and deveined raw shrimp (21-25 per pound)
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add fennel and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Add tomatoes and oregano and cook, stirring and scraping up any browned bits, about 30 seconds. Add shrimp and cook, stirring occasionally, until pink and just cooked through, about 4 minutes. Stir in capers and pepper. Serve sprinkled with feta.
187 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 176 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 21 g protein; 3 g fiber; 610 mg sodium; 412 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
Nutrition Note: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Iron (20% dv), Vitamin A (15% dv).
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- November/December 2009