Mediterranean Sautéed Shrimp & Fennel
From EatingWell: November/December 2009
Serve this sautéed fennel and shrimp with a tomato-caper sauce in whatever way suits your fancy—with pasta, whole grains, such as bulgur or brown rice, or even mashed potatoes. Serve with: A mixed green salad.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large fennel bulb, cored and cut into 2-inch-long strips (about 4 cups)
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 pound peeled and deveined raw shrimp (21-25 per pound)
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add fennel and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Add tomatoes and oregano and cook, stirring and scraping up any browned bits, about 30 seconds. Add shrimp and cook, stirring occasionally, until pink and just cooked through, about 4 minutes. Stir in capers and pepper. Serve sprinkled with feta.
187 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 176 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 21 g protein; 3 g fiber; 610 mg sodium; 412 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
Nutrition Note: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Iron (20% dv), Vitamin A (15% dv).
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- November/December 2009