Mediterranean Sautéed Shrimp & Fennel
From EatingWell: November/December 2009
Serve this sautéed fennel and shrimp with a tomato-caper sauce in whatever way suits your fancy—with pasta, whole grains, such as bulgur or brown rice, or even mashed potatoes. Serve with: A mixed green salad.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large fennel bulb, cored and cut into 2-inch-long strips (about 4 cups)
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 pound peeled and deveined raw shrimp (21-25 per pound)
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add fennel and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Add tomatoes and oregano and cook, stirring and scraping up any browned bits, about 30 seconds. Add shrimp and cook, stirring occasionally, until pink and just cooked through, about 4 minutes. Stir in capers and pepper. Serve sprinkled with feta.
187 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 176 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 21 g protein; 3 g fiber; 610 mg sodium; 412 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
Nutrition Note: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Iron (20% dv), Vitamin A (15% dv).
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2009