Mediterranean Sautéed Shrimp & Fennel
From EatingWell: November/December 2009
Serve this sautéed fennel and shrimp with a tomato-caper sauce in whatever way suits your fancy—with pasta, whole grains, such as bulgur or brown rice, or even mashed potatoes. Serve with: A mixed green salad.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large fennel bulb, cored and cut into 2-inch-long strips (about 4 cups)
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 pound peeled and deveined raw shrimp (21-25 per pound)
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add fennel and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Add tomatoes and oregano and cook, stirring and scraping up any browned bits, about 30 seconds. Add shrimp and cook, stirring occasionally, until pink and just cooked through, about 4 minutes. Stir in capers and pepper. Serve sprinkled with feta.
187 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 176 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 21 g protein; 3 g fiber; 610 mg sodium; 412 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
Nutrition Note: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Iron (20% dv), Vitamin A (15% dv).
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- November/December 2009