Mediterranean Sautéed Shrimp & Fennel
From EatingWell: November/December 2009
Serve this sautéed fennel and shrimp with a tomato-caper sauce in whatever way suits your fancy—with pasta, whole grains, such as bulgur or brown rice, or even mashed potatoes. Serve with: A mixed green salad.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large fennel bulb, cored and cut into 2-inch-long strips (about 4 cups)
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 pound peeled and deveined raw shrimp (21-25 per pound)
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add fennel and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Add tomatoes and oregano and cook, stirring and scraping up any browned bits, about 30 seconds. Add shrimp and cook, stirring occasionally, until pink and just cooked through, about 4 minutes. Stir in capers and pepper. Serve sprinkled with feta.
187 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 176 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 21 g protein; 3 g fiber; 610 mg sodium; 412 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
Nutrition Note: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Iron (20% dv), Vitamin A (15% dv).
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2009