Mediterranean Portobello Burger
From EatingWell: June/July 2006
This mushroom sandwich comes topped with a luscious Greek-style salad. Make it a meal: Serve with cucumber spears and a glass of Firestone Gewurztraminer.
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 portobello mushroom caps, stems and gills removed
- 4 large slices country-style sourdough bread, cut in half
- 1/2 cup sliced jarred roasted red peppers
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- 1/4 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped pitted Kalamata olives
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups loosely packed mixed baby salad greens
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Mash garlic and salt on a cutting board with the side of a knife until it's a smooth paste. Mix the paste with 1 tablespoon oil in a small dish. Lightly brush the oil mixture over portobellos and then on one side of each slice of bread.
- Combine red peppers, tomato, feta, olives, vinegar, oregano and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a medium bowl.
- Grill the mushroom caps until tender, about 4 minutes per side; grill the bread until crisp, about 1 minute per side.
- Toss salad greens with the red pepper mixture. Place the grilled mushrooms top-side down on 4 half-slices of the bread. Top with the salad mixture and the remaining bread.
Per serving: 301 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 4 g fiber; 795 mg sodium; 691 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (44% daily value), Folate (33% dv), Vitamin A (25% dv), Potassium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- June/July 2006