Mediterranean Portobello Burger
From EatingWell: June/July 2006
This mushroom sandwich comes topped with a luscious Greek-style salad. Make it a meal: Serve with cucumber spears and a glass of Firestone Gewurztraminer.
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 portobello mushroom caps, stems and gills removed
- 4 large slices country-style sourdough bread, cut in half
- 1/2 cup sliced jarred roasted red peppers
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- 1/4 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped pitted Kalamata olives
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups loosely packed mixed baby salad greens
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Mash garlic and salt on a cutting board with the side of a knife until it's a smooth paste. Mix the paste with 1 tablespoon oil in a small dish. Lightly brush the oil mixture over portobellos and then on one side of each slice of bread.
- Combine red peppers, tomato, feta, olives, vinegar, oregano and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a medium bowl.
- Grill the mushroom caps until tender, about 4 minutes per side; grill the bread until crisp, about 1 minute per side.
- Toss salad greens with the red pepper mixture. Place the grilled mushrooms top-side down on 4 half-slices of the bread. Top with the salad mixture and the remaining bread.
Per serving: 301 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 4 g fiber; 795 mg sodium; 691 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (44% daily value), Folate (33% dv), Vitamin A (25% dv), Potassium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- June/July 2006