Mediterranean Portobello Burger
From EatingWell: June/July 2006
This mushroom sandwich comes topped with a luscious Greek-style salad. Make it a meal: Serve with cucumber spears and a glass of Firestone Gewurztraminer.
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 portobello mushroom caps, stems and gills removed
- 4 large slices country-style sourdough bread, cut in half
- 1/2 cup sliced jarred roasted red peppers
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- 1/4 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped pitted Kalamata olives
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups loosely packed mixed baby salad greens
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Mash garlic and salt on a cutting board with the side of a knife until it's a smooth paste. Mix the paste with 1 tablespoon oil in a small dish. Lightly brush the oil mixture over portobellos and then on one side of each slice of bread.
- Combine red peppers, tomato, feta, olives, vinegar, oregano and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a medium bowl.
- Grill the mushroom caps until tender, about 4 minutes per side; grill the bread until crisp, about 1 minute per side.
- Toss salad greens with the red pepper mixture. Place the grilled mushrooms top-side down on 4 half-slices of the bread. Top with the salad mixture and the remaining bread.
Per serving: 301 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 4 g fiber; 795 mg sodium; 691 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (44% daily value), Folate (33% dv), Vitamin A (25% dv), Potassium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- June/July 2006