Mediterranean Lamb Salad
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
Here's an example of everyday simplicity taken to elegant heights—a lovely chickpea and vegetable salad, topped with warm strips of lamb. Hearty yet light for a warm night, this supper could be followed up with Iced Lychees.
- 1 pound boneless leg of lamb steaks, 1-1 1/2 inches thick (see Note)
- 1.5 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 medium cucumbers, peeled, halved, seeded and diced
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1/2 cup minced red onion
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1.Preheat grill to high. Sprinkle lamb with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Grill the lamb for 2 to 4 minutes per side for medium, depending on the thickness of the steaks. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for at least 5 minutes before thinly slicing across the grain.
- Meanwhile, place cucumbers, tomatoes, chickpeas, onion, feta cheese and mint in a large bowl. Add lemon juice, oil, the remaining 1 teaspoon salt and more pepper to taste; stir to combine. Serve topped with the sliced lamb.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Leg of lamb is lean, flavorful and cooks quickly when cut into steaks. Steaks will vary in thickness, depending on the butcher. If leg of lamb steaks are unavailable in your supermarket, trimmed, deboned lamb shoulder chops are a good substitute.
Per serving: 256 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 54 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 21 g protein; 5 g fiber; 833 mg sodium; 646 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Selenium (29% dv), Zinc (27% dv), Folate (23% dv), Potassium (19% dv), Iron (15% dv), Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique