Mediterranean Lamb Salad
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
Here's an example of everyday simplicity taken to elegant heights—a lovely chickpea and vegetable salad, topped with warm strips of lamb. Hearty yet light for a warm night, this supper could be followed up with Iced Lychees.
- 1 pound boneless leg of lamb steaks, 1-1 1/2 inches thick (see Note)
- 1.5 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 medium cucumbers, peeled, halved, seeded and diced
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1/2 cup minced red onion
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1.Preheat grill to high. Sprinkle lamb with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Grill the lamb for 2 to 4 minutes per side for medium, depending on the thickness of the steaks. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for at least 5 minutes before thinly slicing across the grain.
- Meanwhile, place cucumbers, tomatoes, chickpeas, onion, feta cheese and mint in a large bowl. Add lemon juice, oil, the remaining 1 teaspoon salt and more pepper to taste; stir to combine. Serve topped with the sliced lamb.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Leg of lamb is lean, flavorful and cooks quickly when cut into steaks. Steaks will vary in thickness, depending on the butcher. If leg of lamb steaks are unavailable in your supermarket, trimmed, deboned lamb shoulder chops are a good substitute.
Per serving: 256 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 54 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 21 g protein; 5 g fiber; 833 mg sodium; 646 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Selenium (29% dv), Zinc (27% dv), Folate (23% dv), Potassium (19% dv), Iron (15% dv), Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less