Mediterranean Lamb Salad
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
Here's an example of everyday simplicity taken to elegant heights—a lovely chickpea and vegetable salad, topped with warm strips of lamb. Hearty yet light for a warm night, this supper could be followed up with Iced Lychees.
- 1 pound boneless leg of lamb steaks, 1-1 1/2 inches thick (see Note)
- 1.5 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 medium cucumbers, peeled, halved, seeded and diced
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1/2 cup minced red onion
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1.Preheat grill to high. Sprinkle lamb with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Grill the lamb for 2 to 4 minutes per side for medium, depending on the thickness of the steaks. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for at least 5 minutes before thinly slicing across the grain.
- Meanwhile, place cucumbers, tomatoes, chickpeas, onion, feta cheese and mint in a large bowl. Add lemon juice, oil, the remaining 1 teaspoon salt and more pepper to taste; stir to combine. Serve topped with the sliced lamb.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Leg of lamb is lean, flavorful and cooks quickly when cut into steaks. Steaks will vary in thickness, depending on the butcher. If leg of lamb steaks are unavailable in your supermarket, trimmed, deboned lamb shoulder chops are a good substitute.
Per serving: 256 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 54 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 21 g protein; 5 g fiber; 833 mg sodium; 646 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Selenium (29% dv), Zinc (27% dv), Folate (23% dv), Potassium (19% dv), Iron (15% dv), Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less