Mediterranean Lamb Salad
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
Here's an example of everyday simplicity taken to elegant heights—a lovely chickpea and vegetable salad, topped with warm strips of lamb. Hearty yet light for a warm night, this supper could be followed up with Iced Lychees.
- 1 pound boneless leg of lamb steaks, 1-1 1/2 inches thick (see Note)
- 1.5 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 medium cucumbers, peeled, halved, seeded and diced
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1/2 cup minced red onion
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1.Preheat grill to high. Sprinkle lamb with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Grill the lamb for 2 to 4 minutes per side for medium, depending on the thickness of the steaks. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for at least 5 minutes before thinly slicing across the grain.
- Meanwhile, place cucumbers, tomatoes, chickpeas, onion, feta cheese and mint in a large bowl. Add lemon juice, oil, the remaining 1 teaspoon salt and more pepper to taste; stir to combine. Serve topped with the sliced lamb.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Leg of lamb is lean, flavorful and cooks quickly when cut into steaks. Steaks will vary in thickness, depending on the butcher. If leg of lamb steaks are unavailable in your supermarket, trimmed, deboned lamb shoulder chops are a good substitute.
Per serving: 256 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 54 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 21 g protein; 5 g fiber; 833 mg sodium; 646 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Selenium (29% dv), Zinc (27% dv), Folate (23% dv), Potassium (19% dv), Iron (15% dv), Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique