Mediterranean Grilled Vegetable Soup
From EatingWell: July/August 1993
Whirl grilled bell peppers, zucchini and onion in a food processor with some vine-ripened tomatoes in this smoky gazpacho-like soup. Make it a meal: Serve with Pan Bagna for a delightful warm-weather Mediterranean meal.
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and quartered lengthwise
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and quartered lengthwise
- 2 small zucchini, (8 ounces total), trimmed and quartered lengthwise
- 1 red onion, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large vine-ripened tomatoes, (1 1/4 pounds), cored and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup shredded basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Prepare a grill or preheat the broiler.
- Grill or broil bell peppers, skin-side toward the flame, until the skin is blackened, 5 to 10 minutes. Place in a paper bag and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, brush zucchini and onion slices with oil and grill or broil until well browned and tender, about 5 minutes. Chop coarsely and set aside.
- Peel the peppers. Coarsely chop the yellow pepper and set aside with the reserved zucchini and onions. Place the red peppers in a food processor or blender, along with tomatoes, garlic and oregano; puree until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and stir in water, basil, vinegar and the reserved chopped vegetables. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until cool, about 30 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 56 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 59 mg sodium; 480 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (67% daily value), Vitamin C (217% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Father's Day
- July/August 1993