Mediterranean Grilled Vegetable Soup
From EatingWell: July/August 1993
Whirl grilled bell peppers, zucchini and onion in a food processor with some vine-ripened tomatoes in this smoky gazpacho-like soup. Make it a meal: Serve with Pan Bagna for a delightful warm-weather Mediterranean meal.
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and quartered lengthwise
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and quartered lengthwise
- 2 small zucchini, (8 ounces total), trimmed and quartered lengthwise
- 1 red onion, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large vine-ripened tomatoes, (1 1/4 pounds), cored and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup shredded basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Prepare a grill or preheat the broiler.
- Grill or broil bell peppers, skin-side toward the flame, until the skin is blackened, 5 to 10 minutes. Place in a paper bag and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, brush zucchini and onion slices with oil and grill or broil until well browned and tender, about 5 minutes. Chop coarsely and set aside.
- Peel the peppers. Coarsely chop the yellow pepper and set aside with the reserved zucchini and onions. Place the red peppers in a food processor or blender, along with tomatoes, garlic and oregano; puree until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and stir in water, basil, vinegar and the reserved chopped vegetables. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until cool, about 30 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 56 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 59 mg sodium; 480 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (67% daily value), Vitamin C (217% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Make cooking Thanksgiving dinner easier with these simple...
If hungry guests are on their way for Thanksgiving dinner,...
These healthy, flavorful Thanksgiving side dishes are...
Use wild rice in a variety of healthy side dishes, including...
One of the most iconic fall vegetables, squash is a versatile...
Sauces and relishes provide the sweet or savory flavor...
Tender, sweet and just a little nutty, Brussels sprouts add a...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
There's nothing more enticing than walking into the kitchen...
If you have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, there...
Serve one of these healthy vegetarian main dishes, and you're...
The holiday season is the perfect time to use fresh...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer to make for...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Take the stress out of Thanksgiving with these easy, healthy...
- Father's Day
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- July/August 1993